Friday, July 15, 2005

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat Demo Review (Xbox)

Well, it's been a few hours and I decided to give the game another chance. I can only say this: WOW! This game is all I expected it to be. Sure I got the little game crash problem, but what I did play was worth it. So, how about a mini-review? Here goes.

Graphics:
For an Xbox game, this looks great. The visuals are a bit better than Ghost Recon 2, and that's really saying something. The grass seemed more realistic, and behaved like it should. Watching an airstrike pour down upon you is just awe-inspiring, but perhaps that's because you know you'll be dead in a matter of seconds. All in all, this game should please all the graphics whores out there, but it's really not about the visuals.

Audio:
Ever since I moved to Dolby Digital, I've loved to play games that made full use of the 5.1 channels. This is one of those games. You can hear the choppers and cars as they race by you. The footstep sounds also add a lot to the action, and allow you to hear someone sneaking up on you. When you've got the sound cranked up, you'll swear you're fighting on an actual battlefield at times. Guns sound good, and powerful, as they should. The clear announcing of which flags have been taken also help guide you along your path.

Gameplay and Controls:
Ah, here's where it gets interesting. If I wasn't so tired right now, I'd still be playing this game. The only thing that could have made my first play more fun would be to have friends in the game with me, because I'd rather talk to those I know than complete strangers. Though PC has been doing it for a while now, and I believe Battlefront has topped the number as well, 24 people on Xbox LIVE is insanely fun. With the maps being as big as they are, you'll still almost always find yourself running into enemies, or having a run in with an enemy vehicle. Each class plays as it should, and the controls are solid, though it may take a bit more playing for me to get the hang of the driving.

Quick run-down:
Maps=big
Guns=good
Vehicles=fun
Action=intense
Fun-Factor=VERY HIGH

I can't wait to play some more of this, perhaps with some friends. The only thing that will really suck about this game is waiting until November to play the full game. I might just have to go buy a new video card so I can play Battlefield 2 on the PC until then.

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat XBOX Demo
5/5 MUST PLAY

If you like shooters of any kind, I recommend you check out this game. Though it has it's shortcomings, it IS an early demo of the game and those problems will most likely be fixed by the time of the retail release. Until then, I'll see you on the demo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home