Friday, July 15, 2005

"Battlefield" Betrayal

Ah, Electronic Arts. I remember the days when I would boot up a new NHL game and hear "EA SPORTS: It's in the game." and be overjoyed. These were the glory days of the company, the 16-bit era. In recent years, EA has become a much larger company, eating up as many profitable companies as they could, and turning some of those developers' best franchises into pure crap. They've also made a point to buy exclusive rights to all sports leagues so their competitors, which made better and more innovative games year-after-year I might add, were forced out of business. Being the FPS fan that I am, I have enjoyed one thing from EA...that being the Battlefield series.


At the beginning of the summer, I moved from a 500 mhz Pentium III computer to a 3.06ghz P4 MONSTER. I immediately downloaded as many games as I could find to try out the beast. One of the games that I really enjoyed was the Battlefield 1942 demo. I have yet to purchase the full version because I never spend my money wisely. Perhaps one day I'll buy it. About a month ago, as many of you may know, the Battlefield 2 demo for PC was released and I downloaded it immediately. Sadly, my integrated video card is nowhere near powerful enough for the game, hell, it won't even BOOT! I planned to buy a new video card, though my choices are limited to PCI only, when I got some money to blow...until tonight. I was browsing around the local CVS at about 12.30 am when I came across the newest OXM. As I picked it up, I saw:

"Go to war!
Battlefield 2
Modern Combat
Invade Xbox Live in the ultimate combat shootout"

I knew I had to buy this demo NOW! So, naturally, I did. On the trip back, which is less than a mile, I was swerving all over the road trying to open the wrapper, never quite succeeding and eventually deciding to just wait until I got home so as to avoid drunk driving accusations. I get home, pop in the disc, immediately proceed to the B2MC demo only to find that NO SERVERS ARE WORKING! What the hell? How can EA, king of small company shopping, not have functioning servers? Why can't this company invest in their enjoyable franchises rather than trying to buy everyone else's? Oh, but this is just the beginning the "betrayal" with the demo. Apparently, even if I can get into a server, I might not be able to stay long. It seems that the demo freezes up, leaving your Xbox making an insane buzzing, grinding sound and forces you to restart the machine.

Now, I just spent 10 bucks on the magazine JUST to play this demo, and I find out that it's an unfinished plastic turd-doughnut. THANK YOU EA AND OXM FOR SCREWING ME OUT OF TEN BUCKS! If I can't get this game to work in the next few days, I will be much less tempted to purchase an EA product in the future.

Moral: If the game don't play, in development it stays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home